- Applicant should be present in person.
- Should bring the national identity card or the valid passport with the national identity card number.
- In obtaining the service from offices where online method is available producing photographs is not required and the relevant photographs are taken during the computer process.
- In obtaining a driving license for the first time, original of the birth certificate should be produced.
Obtaining a new driving license for light vehicles.
- It is possible to register and sit for the written test if 17 years of age has been completed.
- In the event of passing the written test, a learners' permit is issued up to a maximum of 18 months.
- Holder of such permit can practice driving.
- One should complete 18 years of age to face the practical test and a minimum of 3 months should have passed after obtaining the learners' permit.
- It is compulsory to face the practical test and pass it.
- Aptitude medical certificate of M.T.A. 31A form obtained within a period not exceeding 6 months from a doctor registered with the Medical Council of Sri Lanka.
- In obtaining and for foreign applicants 6 months visa compulsory